In 2009, the ‘Enabling Protection for Older Children’ (EPOCh) project was initiated to begin development of a dummy representing older children, for use in crash tests that determine the safety of Crash Restraint Systems (CRS).
EPOCh, along with its fellow EU FP7 project ‘Child Advanced Safety Project for European Roads’ (CASPER), both addressed the safety of children transported in passenger cars. While CASPER concentrated on improvements to the existing range of Q-series dummies, EPOCh added an adolescent Q family member. The conclusion from extensive discussions was that a dummy representing a 50th-percentile child of 10.5 years old was most appropriate to represent the group of the oldest CRS users.
Cellbond’s Q10 Development Process
The development process for the series was a funded European Project and as a result there is no individual or corporate ‘ownership’ of the designs; all information utilised to develop and in some areas improve the Q10 Dummy is in the public domain. Cellbond has used this information and drawn on our experience and knowledge to produce a Q10 dummy which consistently meets all performance requirements throughout a comprehensive testing regime. All our development was funded by Cellbond without public funds.
Q10 Upgrade Kit
The upgrades, which will improve the performance of Q10 dummies in crash tests, include:
- New shoulder liners, which will prevent the seat belt from getting trapped in the shoulder joint;
- A Spine Box with a modified neck base, with enhanced neck positioning;
- Scapulae for front- and side-impact testing;
- Pelvis replacement parts, which are lighter, in order to compensate for the increased mass in the Spine Box;
- Upper legs with solid moulded femur flesh, which reduce the risk of the belt being pinched in the gap between the pelvis and thigh;
- Lower legs with shorter feet, which allow for better positioning of the dummy in cars with less back-seat leg room.
Euro NCAP and Current Regulations
In 2016, Euro NCAP began dynamic performance assessments which included the use of Q10 and Q6 Dummies.
Current Regulations that use the Q10 include:
- Euro NCAP Assessment Protocol – COP v7.01
- Euro NCAP and KNCAP – Offset Frontal Impact
- Euro NCAP and KNCAP – Barrier Side Impact
- UNECE R129
Certification and Recalibration
Cellbond’s Q10 dummies are certified to ISO 17025 by Cellbond’s in-house ATD Test Lab.
We offer recertification and recalibration services and have test fixtures and probes available to purchase.
Finite Element Model
An FE Model of the Q10 Dummy is available from Phitec Ingegneria srl.
Each Q10 Dummy is supplied with a comprehensive Technical Manual in hard copy and PDF format as part of our commitment to after-sales service.